Monday, September 5, 2011

Mash-up NOAA XML and Feed2JS to Create Weather Widget for Websites

A few months ago I was looking for a simple script that would display the local weather on our library website.  What I found were plenty of cut and paste weather widgets, but all were heavily branded or contained links, which I didn't want (it is only weather after all, couldn't I just get the weather without all the noise?). Weather is apparently hard to find by itself, but what I wanted is something simple.

Then I came across this article, which grabs a weather XML feed from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and runs it through Feed2JS, which republishes XML feeds in web documents.  In the end, you get a direct weather feed via NOAA for your location and as the weather changes it will update your weather display on your website, just like a normal XML feed would do.


*Information contained within these pages do not necessarily reflect the opinions or views of Schreiner University

No comments:

Post a Comment